We’re featuring Derian House as one of our inspirational charities after hearing more about the amazing work they do from one of our podcast guests. (You’ll hear more in an episode coming soon!)
Derian House is a children’s hospice based in Lancashire, North West England.
The hospice helps children and young people whose lives are too short, to make happy memories in an environment of fun, respect and high quality care.
They provide end of life care and respite and do everything they can to make sure that every child who comes to them, is able to make the very most of the time they have.
At Derian House, the whole family is offered support. They provide support for siblings, a grandparents bereavement group, and counselling sessions for families – for as long as they need it.
Founded in 1991, the charity has gone from strength to strength and in 2019, they were named ‘Charity of the Year’ at the prestigious JustGiving awards.
Every year they provide:
- Care for more than 400 children and young people
- 2,200 nights of respite care
- 100 nights of care in our Sunflower Rooms where children can rest before their funeral
- 35 hours of music therapy
- 250 hours of weekly clubs during school holidays
- Day trips for more than 35 young people and their siblings
- 1,500 hours of day care
- 450 hours of pool fun in hydrotherapy and family splash sessions
- 800 hours of family-supervised play visits
- 1,100 Derian at Home visits from our ‘hospice at home’ team
- 190 sessions of bereavement counselling
To find out more about Derian House or to make a donation, you can visit their website using the button below